[Logo] Terracotta Discussion Forums (LEGACY READ-ONLY ARCHIVE)
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
[Expert]
Basic licensing question  XML
Forum Index -> Terracotta Licensing
Ittaiz

neo

Hi,
I'm pretty sure this is a basic question, however reading the FAQ and the questions here got me confused.
I'm looking into Terracotta for my company and I think we would like to start with the open-source course and if the solution will be stable enough then switch to a commercial license for all of its advantages.
Currently in the open-source course, if my company develops a product which uses Terracotta, for scalability as an example, and sells that product do we need to pay attribution?
As Terracotta is in the software we're distributing, or is this not the correct meaning of distribution?

Thanks in advance,
Ittai
ari

seraphim

If you sell software, not services, you have to attribute, yes. If your users download your software and, inside your software is ours, and the user doesn't know our software is there because you take care of installing us all by yourself...well, then, our license asks that you inform your users through the interface they see that your system is powered by ours.

If your system is simply supporting ours, meaning you test it and make sure they are compatible but you're not redistributing Terracotta software (either directly, such as in your kit, or passively, like with a download), then you don't need to attribute inside the interface they see.

If attribution is such an issue, why not call sales and negotiate a structure where you don't pay to bundle it till your testing is complete? Its common practice to rigorously test software before including it in your kit. Unless you intend to test its stability for a year or something, you should just go the commercial route up front.

That's it. Does that help?

Thanks,

--Ari
[WWW]

Forum Index -> Terracotta Licensing
Go to: