[Logo] Terracotta Discussion Forums (LEGACY READ-ONLY ARCHIVE)
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
[Expert]
Quartz vs EJB Timers (JEE6)  XML
Forum Index -> Quartz
pedrosol

neo

Hi,

Just wondering why (some good reasons) should I use quartz instead of EJB Timers? or the opposite, why (some good reasons) should I use EJB Timers instead of quartz?

Thanks in advance for any answer
kraiss

journeyman

It really depends of your needs and your environnement. It is two different services for different needs. If you need simple timers, both will fit your needs.
But, as instance :
- If you are not using a JEE container, Quartz will be clearly easier to use
- If your service is critical, you can use Quartz can work as a cluster and will make your service more fault tolerant
- If you are using a JEE container and you need simple timers, EJB Timers will be easier to use
[WWW]
pedrosol

neo

Thank you very much for your answer!! One question, I understand EJB Timers also work in a clustered fashion (at least in weblogic), any other reason to stay with quartz in a JEE environment? Timer administration perhaps?
kraiss

journeyman

Yes in weblogic server you can make some clustering with EJB Timers, see oracle blog :
https://blogs.oracle.com/muraliveligeti/entry/ejb_timer_ejb

If you want to manage your "timers" or even if you want "to observe" what Quartz does, some handy features comes with Quartz TriggerListener and JobListener. And i guess it can be difficult to replicate some with EJB Timers.

If you look for what you can do with EJB Timers, take a look at :
http://jaitechwriteups.blogspot.fr/2010/07/ejb31-timerservice-in-jboss-as-600m4.html
[WWW]

Forum Index -> Quartz
Go to: