[Logo] Terracotta Discussion Forums (LEGACY READ-ONLY ARCHIVE)
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
[Expert]
Splash screen while waiting for TC to load  XML
Forum Index -> General
adstan

neo

Hi all,

I have a Swing Application running with TC.

During startup, there is a waiting time of 10 to 20 seconds of no visual indication that the application is starting up. This duration is actually caused by TC trying to load up it classes.

Since TC is replacing the default class-loader, is there anyway I can supercede this loading with a splash screen so that the use knows something is starting up.

Adams
orion

jedi

One thing you can do is try to minimize the number of classes that you are instrumenting down to just exactly what you need to be instrumented.

If you've already done that and the delay is still unacceptable, you could have an initial program (if in Java, then it would be in a JVM that isn't clustered) that would show the user a splash screen while it launches the clustered JVM that runs your actual application.

There might be a slicker way to do it, but I don't know what...

Want to post to this forum? Please join the Terracotta community: Sign up
[WWW]
jjo135

journeyman

I haven't tested it with Terracotta, but Java 6 introduced functionality that allowed for a splash screen to appear while the JVM itself is kicking off. There is an article about it here

http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/J2SE/Desktop/javase6/splashscreen/

If you are using Java 6, this would probably solve your problem

Forum Index -> General
Go to: