[Logo] Terracotta Discussion Forums (LEGACY READ-ONLY ARCHIVE)
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
[Expert]
One JVM connected to two or more terracotta servers  XML
Forum Index -> General
jodzga

neo

Hi,

Is it possible to have one JVM connected to two or more terracotta servers?
steve

ophanim

It is possible but is not a supported configuration and has a lot of caveats associated with it. We are working on a super elite version of said configuration but it will be a little while before we are showing that.

Want to post to this forum? Join the Terracotta Community
zeeiyer

consul

No - not quite a natural capability of the product, today.

We have implemented similar capability though for some customers under some restricted cases - such as striping an EHCache instance across multiple Terracotta servers where a given-entry is wholly bound to 1 and only 1 Terracotta server - thus each client-JVM is interacting with an EHCache which underneath the covers, is striped across multiple Terracotta servers.

Terracotta Product Management will decide if, when and how some of these extensions become part of the core open product...

Sreeni Iyer, Terracotta.
Not a member yet - Click here to join the Terracotta Community
tgautier

seraphim

Correct. To add more info, generally speaking the bulk of our customers find that a single server with failover for availability is sufficient for both their availability and scalability requirements.

We have, as Iyer mentions, deployed implementations that provide the ability to stripe load across multiple servers for scalability. Due to the very specific nature of this implementation, it is not yet available in OSS form (but as Steve points out, we are working on that for a TBD release).

The deployments we have done are for Fortune 100 companies, that manage enormous volumes of transactions.

I would peg these use cases in the top 5% in the world.

If you truly find that you need more than one server for scalability, then you really should be thinking about Enterprise Support. If you are running into scalability issues with your existing implementation, you may have bottlenecks in your application or your configuration of Terracotta, for which multiple servers may not be the solution you need - but rather more tuning and analysis of your use. We can help you with that too.

We've made a lot of conjecture why you might want such a thing - maybe you could help us understand in more detail what you are looking for and why.

Thanks!

[WWW]
jodzga

neo

Thankst for the answer!

Currently I am in the planning phase and looking for right tools. I came across this article:
http://www.theserverside.com/tt/articles/article.tss?l=ScalingYourJavaEEApplicationsPart2
Author wrote that in 3 projects he had chance to test Terracotta scaled very good up to 5 nodes, good up to 10 nodes and did not scale good with more than 20 nodes. I was thinking that if in the future my project hit this number multiple Terracota servers could be the answer.

Forum Index -> General
Go to: