[Logo] Terracotta Discussion Forums (LEGACY READ-ONLY ARCHIVE)
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
[Expert]
Messages posted by: absurd  XML
Profile for absurd -> Messages posted by absurd [4]
Is web sessions open source? If so is the source availalble somewhere? I tried the tree svn repos, tc, ehcache, and quartz, but couldn't find it in there.

Im trying to extends the Tomcat valve behavior, where if the TC server is not reachable during startup tomcat will just failover to normal local sessions.
Thanks everyone for your help, -Dcom.tc.tc.config.total.timeout=5000, solved my problem.

I did have to do a tiny bit of customization to get it to failover nicely for hibernate as well. Some pseudocode below.

Basically try with standard config, catch an exception, set the standard config property to some secondary value (local ehcache in mycase) and try again.

Code:
 public class CustomEhCacheRegionFactory extends EhCacheRegionFactory {
    String CUSTOM_EHCACHE_CONFIGURATION_RESOURCE_NAME ="some.secondary.property.to.define.in.hibernate.cfg.xml;

@Override
   public void start(Settings settings, Properties properties) throws CacheException {

try{
       super.start(settings, properties);
   }catch(Exception ex){
       properties.setProperty(NET_SF_EHCACHE_CONFIGURATION_RESOURCE_NAME, properties.getProperty(CUSTOM_EHCACHE_CONFIGURATION_RESOURCE_NAME));
        super.start(settings, properties);
   }
 }
Thanks, this does indeed seem to raise a catchable exception.

net.sf.ehcache.CacheException: Unable to load class net.sf.ehcache.terracotta.StandaloneTerracottaClusteredInstanceFactory. Initial cause was java.lang.RuntimeException: com.tc.config.schema.setup.ConfigurationSetupException:
Could not fetch configuration data from the server at 'localhost:9510'. Fetch attempt duration: 6 seconds.

To correct this problem specify a valid configuration location using the -f/--config command-line options.

Havent tested it all the way yet, but catching an exception is a good sign.

P.S. I also tried the property l1.max.connect.retries=5, which appears in that same link, and would appear to do what I needed. However it had no effect. Possibly due to https://jira.terracotta.org/jira/browse/CDV-1542 ?
my ehcache.xml has the following line.

<terracottaConfig url="localhost:9510" rejoin="true" />

This allows us to use the Terracotta Server to replicate cache between a couple tomcat nodes.

However im trying to implement a failover to local.

During startup if the TC server is not reachable, TerracottaClient just continues to retry indefinetely.

We couldn't load configuration data from the server at 'localhost:9510'; retrying. (Error: Connection refused: connect.)...
We couldn't load configuration data from the server at 'localhost:9510'; retrying. (Error: Connection refused: connect.)
We couldn't load configuration data from the server at 'localhost:9510'; retrying. (Error: Connection refused: connect.)

No exception that I can catch is ever thrown, so I can never get it to switch to some alternate configuration.

What is the correct way to limit the number of retries? or limit the time? And raise an exception that could be handled by my code?

Profile for absurd -> Messages posted by absurd [4]
Go to: