[Logo] Terracotta Discussion Forums (LEGACY READ-ONLY ARCHIVE)
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
[Expert]
DSO vs. express installation  XML
Forum Index -> Terracotta for Web Sessions
dhmayo

neo

I've been looking at the Web Sessions installation instructions, which say:

"All clustered objects must be serializable. If you cannot use Serializable classes, you must use the custom web-sessions installation (see Terracotta DSO Installation). Clustering non-serializable classes is not supported with the express installation."

I've been writing some static analysis (i.e. reflection-based) tools to go through our code and look for non-Sessionable types that could get put into session. While these tools are catching a lot of potential problems, they don't give me 100% confidence -- Java type erasure and the runtime idiosyncrasies of generics mean that non-Serializable objects could still sneak into session.

My questions are:

1. Is going with DSO something that we should consider?
2. Given that we will definitely be using EhCache and Quartz (and may very well use BigMemory was well), are there any cons to using DSO?
3. The fact that the TC site draws a distinction between a *custom* web sessions installation for DSO vs. the express installation leads me to believe that the operational impact would be greater with a DSO-based approach. Is that the case?

Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks!
klalithr

consul

I would strongly recommend using the Express mode - this allows for more performance and scale options, you can also use the express mode with the BigMemory Go and Max products that allow vertical scale as well.

Karthik Lalithraj (Terracotta)
dhmayo

neo

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

Forum Index -> Terracotta for Web Sessions
Go to: