[Logo] Terracotta Discussion Forums (LEGACY READ-ONLY ARCHIVE)
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
[Expert]
Doesn't Terracotta use Berkeley DB?  XML
Forum Index -> Terracotta Licensing
anodos

journeyman

Doesn't Terracotta use Berkeley DB internally? If so, then does Open Terracotta have some special arrangement with Oracle for licensing? If I remember correctly, Berkeley DB's open source license is not as permissive as Terracotta's?
tmcintyr

journeyman

anodos wrote:
Doesn't Terracotta use Berkeley DB internally? If so, then does Open Terracotta have some special arrangement with Oracle for licensing? If I remember correctly, Berkeley DB's open source license is not as permissive as Terracotta's?

Hi Anodos,

Yes - we currently bundle Berkeley DB as part of Open Terracotta. For our open source version, the Berkeley DB files are indeed governed by the terms of the Sleepycat License, the full text of which is over at http://www.opensource.org/osi3.0/licenses/sleepycat.php

Hope that helps.

anodos

journeyman

OK, let me ask this question. Say I have a commercial client application that connects to a Terracotta server. The client application is distributed, but the server stays central to our datacenter. Do I have to open source my client?
tmcintyr

journeyman

No, you wouldn't have to open source the app, according to the Terracotta Public License. You never have to open source your own code, or any third party code (such as the commercial client application in your question) that you integrate or run with Terracotta.

You only have to open source any changes that you make to any Terracotta files, and which you then "distribute" to others. (And I use the term "distribute" not in the computing sense, but meaning to sell or give away to others outside your organization.)

Forum Index -> Terracotta Licensing
Go to: