[Logo] Terracotta Discussion Forums (LEGACY READ-ONLY ARCHIVE)
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
[Expert]
Terracotta FX License Costs?  XML
Forum Index -> Terracotta Licensing
cahitatilgan

neo

Hello,

I have to evaluate your product for a company. So the last few weeks i played around with Terracotta ES. I admit that it's working great. I could develop some great applications in very short time. =)

But for this company i have to think in larger scale. I've read in the documentation that it's not possible to run an active-active server array with Terracotta ES. The Terracotta FX version will lift this restrictions. But there is only a trial version for 30 days available on your page.

So first, where can I get a full version of Terracotta FX and how much does it cost to license it? Is there any obligations?

Sorry for posting the question here. I couldn't find anything on your licensing page. =(

Thank you very much for your answer!
ari

seraphim

http://www.terracotta.org/web/display/enterprise/Trial+Terracotta+FX

fill that in and you can get the 30 day trial plus someone will contact you to answer all your questions.

Good luck and glad to hear its going well so far :)

--Ari
[WWW]
cahitatilgan

neo

Hello Ari,

Thanks for your quick reply! But it's not what i was expecting... =/

i don't want to question the terracottas business policy, but is it not appropriate to list the license costs on the website?

Actually it scares me off a little, when you claim that Terracotta is open source, and at the end I have to fill out a form to get a trial version for 30 days... So is Terracotta FX still open source?

Thanks in advance!

Cahit
ari

seraphim

Hmm,

Not sure what to say. Terracotta FX is not open source. Maybe you did not realize that? But since it is not OSS, it hopefully explains why the trial is 30 days, etc.

Moreover, everything you do in Terracotta ES will translate directly to FX. It is almost a perfect drop-in underneath an app already integrated with ES.

Think of ES as smart-scale and FX as easy-scale. ES can go very fast. We have many users doing large updates at a rate of 5K - 20K tps. FX can do more TPS but importantly, FX lets you skip some tuning and expertise-building and instead just spend money on HW on which to run Terracotta.

So I suggest you:
(a) get integrated first,
(b) decide you like it but need to see the scale with FX
(c) if you need FX, fill out the trial request and use that to vet the scale and then
(d) make a purchase decision for FX vs. staying with ES and tuning your app by hand to get the scale.

Cheers,

--Ari
[WWW]
cahitatilgan

neo

Hello Ari,

I thank you for your answers! Now I can understand the basic concepts of Terracotta.

I was just a little bit confused, because on the Terracotta homepage and in your book "The Definitive Guide to Terracotta" it was always saying that "Terracotta is an Open Source JVM Clustering Service". And if you google "Terracotta JVM", the same statement...

But it's ok when the Terracotta FX is no OSS. I think that a good software with excellent support should certainly be rewarded. =)

I will follow your steps and see what happens!

So thanks again for your answers!

Cheers,
Cahit

Forum Index -> Terracotta Licensing
Go to: