[Logo] Terracotta Discussion Forums (LEGACY READ-ONLY ARCHIVE)
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
[Expert]
The Server Side article  XML
Forum Index -> General
jdevins

neo

Hey all,

I just read an article on The Server Side about EE scalability and there seem to be some rather questionable comments and conclusions about Terracotta in it. I'd reply to the article myself, but would prefer to see a "professional" do it! Just a heads up...
[url=http://www.theserverside.com/tt/articles/article.tss?l=ScalingYourJavaEEApplicationsPart2]
http://www.theserverside.com/tt/articles/article.tss?l=ScalingYourJavaEEApplicationsPart2[/url]

Josh
[WWW] [MSN]
tgautier

seraphim

Good point. TSS tends to be unproductive discussions and "me-too's" (all vendors for competing product X dog-pile on anything halfway related to their offering) so we have for the most part stopped posting there.

Thanks for pointing it out. I think more productive is to talk with the author.

[WWW]
ari

seraphim

I tried to post a productive response but there seems to be too little detail in the article about which to comment.

I instead invited the author to a sit-down discussion. I want to learn what he tried and what he observed.

No worries,

--Ari
[WWW]
gbevin

praetor

Yeah, I was halfway through writing a comment there too, but then I figured it wouldn't be much use. It's *interesting* to see him compare performance and scalability between coherent (Terracotta) and non coherent (memcached) systems without adapting the patterns. Anyway, as said in the other posts, this article seems to be very thin on concrete information.

Want to post to this forum? Join the Terracotta Community
ari

seraphim

He replied, explaining that:

1. He is in China (great to see benefit to my China trip already)
2. He was pulled into the tests by customer demand
3. There were never bake offs or comparisons.

So I surmise that he is just culling patterns from 13 different tests for 13 different customers. He even states that he is comfortable drawing conclusions about us because his customer went forward and used DSO.

--Ari
[WWW]

Forum Index -> General
Go to: