[Logo] Terracotta Discussion Forums (LEGACY READ-ONLY ARCHIVE)
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
[Expert]
RMI using SSL  XML
Forum Index -> Ehcache
jbppsu

neo

I've put together a patch to allow distributed caching using RMI over SSL. Both the registry and the RMI calls are encrypted. It can be configured through options in the ehcache.xml file.

Unfortunately, it took awhile for me to get the go ahead to submit this. My changes were done on version 1.7.1. It will probably take a little bit of work to include these changes in the current version (I haven't explored this yet).

Before I go through the work of upgrading what I did to the latest version of ehcache I wanted to see if this is something that would get included in future releases if I submit it?
kbhasin

consul

I will let someone from Product management answer your specific query, but I was interested in the performance overhead of adding ssl. Did you run any comparison benchmarks? Did you use OpenSSL for this?

Regards,

Kunal Bhasin,
Terracotta, Inc.

Be a part of the Terracotta community: Join now!
jbppsu

neo

No, I haven't done any benchmarks. There is certainly going to be a performance penalty, but for our application the data we are caching has to be encrypted in transit. So if we are going to distribute the cache it must use SSL.

I did not use OpenSSL. Starting with Java 5.0 there are two classes SslRMIServerSocketFactory and SslRMIClientSocketFactory that can be used to create secure RMI sockets. I just reworked the ehcache code to use those classes instead of RMIClientSocketFactory and RMIServerSocketFactory when some configuration flags are set.
rajoshi

seraphim

Issue seems to be resolved.Please let us know if more information is required.

Rakesh Joshi
Senior Consultant
Terracotta.
ravichip

neo

I have the same requirement: Use SSL for RMI Replication.
Has the patch been included in EHCache?
I'm using EHCache Version 2.5.1

I looked @ the ehcache.xml properties, but could not find any obvious properties to set.

Any information on how to accomplish this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

RC
sohanb

neo

I would like to have the details of this patch or changes done to Factory classes. Can you please point me there with some details?

Thanks!
rojal100

neo

Does it really work
[WWW]
sohanb

neo

I have modified few SSL classes of ehcache source code and made this work. I am able to read configuration via system property whether to use rmi with ssl/non-ssl.

I had no perfromance impact. Only first call takes time ,later on it works as simple as before.

Forum Index -> Ehcache
Go to: