[Logo] Terracotta Discussion Forums (LEGACY READ-ONLY ARCHIVE)
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
[Expert]
license naming change  XML
Forum Index -> Terracotta Licensing
august

master

Hi all,

I noticed our new terracotta license came as a file called terracotta-license.key. This doesn't seem to work with our 3.3 installs which throw an "invalid descriptor" error. Previous licenses were called "product.key".

Is this just a change in license style/naming for 3.4+? Any easy way to get 3.3 to use it (or just get it regenerated)?

3.4 documentation seems to be the first to really speak about the license naming rules (section 1.0.2).

I'm just curious about these kinds of thing and was wondering if the lack of backwards compatibility is known/expected.

August

test
kbhasin

consul

Hi August

Terracotta version 3.4 introduced some new features including BigMemory which also involved the change in the license.

I would recommend to continue using your 3.3 license with that version and use the 3.4 license when you upgrade to 3.4.

Any other particular reason to use the 3.4 license with 3.3?

For ease of deployment, you can package the license along with the ehcache and terracotta jars on the classpath and for the Terracotta Server it can stay in the root on the Terracotta installation.

For minimal downtime upgrade or specific backward compatibility questions you can send a query to Terracotta Support through the support channels or send me a PM.

Regards,

Kunal Bhasin,
Terracotta, Inc.

Be a part of the Terracotta community: Join now!
august

master

Thanks Kunal,

Appreciate the info on the license change ... our case is an interesting one but maybe not that common. We have a current install of terracotta running with 3.3 that we have added to. So we bought more licenses for a new area of the project and they came with the new licenses names. However, we still need to use 3.3 to match the rest of the project. All-in-all it's no big deal and probably just illustrates and "edge-case" risk to any license change format/name/etc in a piece of software. Kinda neat to me to see all aspects of the product beyond just the technical side

So all good!

August

test
kbhasin

consul

BTW, with respect to Ehcache API, 3.4 is backward compatible and there are enough improvements/features in 3.4 to warrant an upgrade from 3.3. I would recommend upgrading the existing projects on 3.3 to 3.4 as son as your timeline would permit.

Regards,

Kunal Bhasin,
Terracotta, Inc.

Be a part of the Terracotta community: Join now!
august

master

yeah - i think you're right!

test
august

master

this is kinda interesting too ... and again i'm just posting here as i'm curious about these things and think others may benefit etc (usual support channels are working fine for me with this) ...

anyway ... when using the old license style with a 3.4 install ... i got this:

org.terracotta.license.LicenseException: Your license key doesn't allow usage of 'authentication' capability

weird, eh?

plus i have to use a tc property, it didn't find product.key in the tc home dir (not so weird, that one i expected).

test

Forum Index -> Terracotta Licensing
Go to: