[Logo] Terracotta Discussion Forums (LEGACY READ-ONLY ARCHIVE)
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
[Expert]
License compatibility chart?  XML
Forum Index -> Terracotta Licensing
jimbetha

neo

Hi all,
Would it be possible for Terracotta's legal department to create a TPL license compatibility chart for common open source licenses, kind of like the chart at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FSF_approved_software_licenses? I think GPL 2.0 & 3.0, Artistic Liscense/GPL, LGPL, Apache 2.0, Eclipse, MIT, Mozilla 1.1, and BSD licenses may be the most common since Google Code lists those as the available licenses for projects created there, and their goal is to prevent license proliferation by letting project creators create projects with only those licenses.

I think addressing the following cases could answer questions a lot of folks have and help speed the adoption of Terracotta:
- Derived works extending Terracotta APIs or any future published libraries provided by Terracotta for integration purposes with Terracotta
- Combined works when compiling directly against Terracotta APIs or any future published libraries provided by Terracotta for integration purposes with Terracotta, specifically when using them in classes but not extending them
- Creation of larger combined works to be distributed such as when creating TIMs for libraries / products licensed with the above mentioned licenses

Thanks so much,
Jim
tmcintyr

journeyman

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your feedback. When we roll out the next version of the website, we're planning to add some additional content around licensing, and I will keep your comments in mind.

I know that the Free Software Foundation chart that you linked to was only an example, but it's important to note that the FSF chart only lists which open source licenses meet FSF's approval. You've touched upon a key point, though, which is the trend in the F/OSS arena for organizations to try and define what is and what isn't open source. As you've noted, Google Code has a different definition from FSF, and the Open Source Initiative has yet another definition, and so on.

At Terracotta, we chose simplicity with our licensing. Specifically, any open source Terracotta software can be combined with any other open source software product, regardless of which licenses are used, as long as you're using the software within your own company (or school, or organization, or for yourself). If you're redistributing, then the Terracotta Public License's attribution clause applies.

Hope that helps.

Forum Index -> Terracotta Licensing
Go to: