[Logo] Terracotta Discussion Forums (LEGACY READ-ONLY ARCHIVE)
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
[Expert]
Open Source vs commercial licesning for distributed caching  XML
Forum Index -> Terracotta Licensing
darmour

neo

Hi

I am a bit confused even looking through the chart explaining the differences between the commercial and open source solutions.

Can ehCache and possible other Terracota products be used in their Open Source configurations for distributed caching? Can this extend beyond session caching to distributed caching for data. I would want the cache to hold common data for applications that apply across ALL sessions and is not session/user specific. It would be great if the cache were accessible via JNDI lookup by all the users/threads of the application.

Can my company start with this using only Open Source solutions and thus free of licesning costs?

Thanks.

David
tmcintyr

journeyman

Hi David,

In general, the answer is yes -- if you go the DIY route, your company can do distributed caching with open source ehcache EX, and the nightly builds are free to download and use in accordance with the open source license.

The enterprise version includes, among other things, support from Terracotta experts, a performance warranty, indemnification assurance, and can be expanded to include dedicated deployment assistance.

Tim

Forum Index -> Terracotta Licensing
Go to: